Don’t Break the Bank: Run IT, Change IT
The Future! Crystal Ball Gazing with Finance and Tech Industry Insiders
In this episode of Don’t Break the Bank, we hear from leaders in tech and finance about what technology will be game changing for the industry over the next year.
- Security and especially cybersecurity is a scary reality across financial services. New technologies bring new risks and the bad guys only have to be successful once to make it worth their while. Listen to Tom and Chris for thought-provoking approaches.
- People should be seen as an investment, not a cost. To get the most from this investment, focus on getting the best from people by playing to their differences and strengths (or as René Carayol calls them, their Spikes) rather than trying to transform them to fit into a bell curve. You can find more about René on his website or on LinkedIn or check out his book Spike.
- AI is with us and will only get more immense and intense. We hope to focus more on this in the future. Until then, Louise Öström has recommended the book 21 Lessons for the 21st Century: Yuval Noah Harari and especially as an audiobook.
- “Look for the things you excel at, and focus on those, rather than worrying about the areas where others could be better.” - Matthew
- "There is a need to invest in people in a way that makes them feel special, valued and not just a resource, a number or a row on a spreadsheet. You cannot change a conservative,stuffy, risk and control-based culture overnight, but it needs to change if financial services wants to regain its crown as the place where technical talent wishes to work.” - Matthew
- “There is no question that we are on the march to quantum, although we are a little way off from quantum supremacy, but crypto has to keep up and be steps ahead if we are to stay ahead of the bad guys.” - Matthew
About the Hosts
Matthew O'Neill is a husband, dad, geek and Industry Managing Director, Advanced Technology Group in the Office of the CTO at VMware.
You can find Matthew on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Brian Hayes is an audiophile, dad, builder of sheds, maker of mirth, world traveller and EMEA Financial Services Industry Lead at VMware.
You can find Brian on LinkedIn.