Don’t Break the Bank: Run IT, Change IT
Optimal Strategies for Exchanges, The Cloud and Keeping It All Running with Allison Krill
In this episode of Don’t Break the Bank, we talk to Allison Krill, Chief Technology Officer for Deutsche Börse Group. Allison takes us through the considerations an Exchange makes when deciding where and how to host critical systems and services.
- For exchanges, geographical sovereignty is a big deal when it comes to cloud data service providers. Because exchanges support many different regulators, they need to think about where the data sits, who operates that platform and who has access to the data - even if it’s encrypted.
- Security and data protection are important when considering a move to the cloud, but it’s necessary to make the business case. When you look at cloud fit, you need to decide whether you retain what you have, rehost it, replatform it, refactor it or consolidate it with something else.
- Cost as a driver doesn't always necessarily stand on its own, and you can't get the business case if you're just looking at a lift and shift. So you really need to look at the broader value chain of what cloud gives you. Sometimes that means rearchitecting the platform to be cloud native to ensure that you're getting the benefits of those new and broader services.
- “You need to operate in this combined ecosystem of legacy and new world, and make sure that you can bring those platforms together and operate them as one.” - Allison
- "With new technology adoption, you need to drive cultural change as much as technology change… That's for us where our Center of Excellence has really bridged that gap and understanding - it helps with challenging the status quo, getting people to think outside of their comfort zone." – Allison
- “You definitely won't get cost advantages if you're doing the same thing in the old way, but in a new world.” - Allison
Allison Krill LinkedIn
About the Hosts
Matthew O'Neill is a husband, dad, geek and Industry Managing Director, Advanced Technology Group in the Office of the CTO at VMware.
You can find Matthew on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Brian Hayes is an audiophile, dad, builder of sheds, maker of mirth, world traveller and EMEA Financial Services Industry Lead at VMware.
You can find Brian on LinkedIn.